Thursday, March 31, 2011

This is the first time he's been in 3rd grade...and it won't last forever

Aaron plays the bongo drums at the 3rd grade Wonders of the Earth program. (Quin, Rachel and I were too shy to navigate our way to the front of the auditorium, so we had Jonathan do it.)

When the classes were preparing for the program, the teachers asked who took music lessons? Aaron was able to raise his hand and say he took piano. Just like that he landed the part of the bongo drums in one of their numbers!

He seemed really pleased with himself and took it very seriously.

Anyway, I realized that these younger children have it kind of hard. They’re living brand new lives that are important to them. Because we have older children getting married, having babies, going on missions, going to college, and making interesting conversation, there’s the danger of us totally missing the three younger boys' childhoods. They’re so easily dwarfed by what the bigger people are doing. (And we've seen it all before.)

The night was a really good reminder of that for me. Especially because I knew Aaron was so cute up there and we came so late that we had to stand at the back. We were placed in such a way that he was the only third-grader we couldn’t see. And the whole thing was a blur to me anyway, because I still haven’t gotten any glasses.

I’m feeling a vow coming on—of paying more attention to people around here, especially little people.

No comments: