Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kindergarten Visit

I visited the Kindergarten class this week. We have a new school building and the classroom is Darling. I found Chris in his favorite spot--the reading corner. (Picture to be included next week.)

When the teacher called for everybody to get their “go books” out of their desks, Chris immediately stopped what he was doing, went to his desk, got out the book and opened it— ready for her instructions. When she told them what to do, he did it just like she said…only fast. Within just a few minutes, he was back in the reading corner. That happened several times in the half hour I was there.

The other interesting thing about the visit was the boy that sits next to Chris. He's mean, Chris says. I didn’t think he was mean, but he was fairly active and in Chris' space. He followed Chris around the room. He leaned over onto Chris while he was trying to work. And he took Chris’ bicycle that he’d just cut out and said he wouldn’t give it back until Chris apologized. ("Apologizes for what?" "Apologizes for hitting me!" ?????)

Chris did an excellent job of ignoring him,so when the boy got up to throw the bike in the garbage, I had to follow him across the room and fish it out.

And Chris was just drawing his road and trees and not paying any attention...

(When quizzed, Chris said, “Yes, I hit him...but he started it!” And that's all I could learn of that story...)

1 comment:

kimberly said...

Don't you love getting to see the environment they are in for so much of their week.