I had an experience with every painting. I have so much admiration for Carl Bloch--his understanding of the Savior, of people, and of tenderness. Through his work I know my Savior better. I know better how to feel like Him. And I know better how to feel close to Him.
Here are four of my favorites:
How intimately Christ's hand rests on the child's cheek. How comfortable and safe the child feels so close to Christ. How meek and trusting is the child. And then Christ's other hand says, Be here...be this child.
Imagine the emotion of this moment for the mother. In the painting you can see her heart breaking, her all-night vigil, her tears that have flowed for hours. And she doesn't know (but we know!) that Christ is there or what the next few moments will bring. The sun is rising behind Him...
Imagine us looking on the scene of Christ's agony and His wrestle with our sins and our pains.
Thomas' feelings at finding Christ who he thought he'd lost are so intense and varied. There's so much to ponder...just a fantastic experience.
1 comment:
I also really loved this exhibit and felt so touched by the portrayals of Christ. They were so sensitively done like the artist really knew the Lord. I loved the one in the garden-Christ with the angel. I'm not sure why perhaps it was the idea of the compassion the angel had for Christ. Another favorite was the daughter of Jarius. A woman commented while we were there that it is like in our lives-we do all that we can do and then the Savior can step in and do the rest. I really felt so for that weary mother. That was such an interesting thing about his art, feeling so much emotion viewing it.
Post a Comment